To preserve the legacy of those individuals who
valiantly dedicated their lives and the aircraft they flew.
Coyote Squadron of Corsicana a unit of the
Commemorative Air Force, operates from the
N.H. "Tucker" Hardgrave Memorial Hangar at
C. David Campbell Field, the Corsicana, Texas,
One of the missions of the Commemorative Air
Force is the restoration to flying condition, and
the continued maintenance, of World War II
military aircraft. The Coyote Squadron has such
an aircraft, a PT-19, and has been fully restored.
In addition, the Commemorative Air Force seeks
to perpetuate, in the memory and hearts of all
Americans, the spirit in which these great
airplanes were flown.
To help educate and entertain residents and visitors of the area, the
Coyote Squadron has hosted, each year since 1999, an air show that features many Commemorative Air Force restored airplanes
as well as many other aircraft. Called the "Best little Airsho in Texas", the show features aircraft
owned privately or operated by other units of
the Commemorative Air Force, and are flown in and
displayed during the show. Each year the show features a new or different act as well as classic crowd favorites.
Early arrivers will enjoy walking on the ramp under and around classic aircraft and chatting with the pilots.
Once the ramp is clear and made safe the spectators will be dazzled with amazing displays of airmanship, aerobatics, and pyrotechnics.
Inspired to join us at the hangar?
We meet at the N.H. "Tucker" Hardgrave Memorial Hangar on the second Saturday of each month at 10:30am. You needn't be a military
veteran or pilot to join in the fun.
Make a difference by joining the Commemorative Air Force and the Coyote Squadron, or support us through donations.
In 1938, while most military pilots were still receiving their initial training in biplanes, Fairchild Aircraft recognized the need for a new design more closely approximating the more advanced types of aircraft the trainees would soon be flying. The result was the development of one of the most innovative and effective primary training planes ever designed, the Fairchild Primary Trainer ("PT"). The Fairchild PT was given its factory model number M-62 and its official name, the Cornell. The first prototype flew on May 15, 1939 and later that year won a fly-off competition against 17 other designs for the new Army training airplane. Fairchild was awarded its first Army PT contract for an initial order of 270 airplanes on September 22, 1939.
When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 demand for military pilots skyrocketed making it necessary for Fairchild Aircraft (FA) to look for subcontractors to assist in meeting the demand for its PTs. Soon, four North American subcontractors were signed up; one Canadian company, Fleet Aircraft (F) and three U.S. companies, Howard Aircraft (HO), St. Louis Aircraft (SL) and Aeronca (AE) as well as Fabrica do Galeao (FG) in Brazil.
Three basic variations of the Fairchild PT were produced, the PT-19, PT-23 and PT-26. All three versions used the same basic airframe. The first and most common, the PT-19, is an open cockpit design and features Fairchild's Ranger engine with its six inverted inline cylinders. The PT-26 is the Canadian version of the PT-19 and features a sliding canopy and cockpit heating system for protection against the Canadian winters along with a few other differentiating features.
Between 1940 and the end of production it is believed that 7,443 airplanes were produced, the breakdown between models being 4,527 PT-19's, 1,790 PT-26's and 1,126 PT-23's. The total number produced over the life of the design is believed to be in excess of 8,130 airplanes. By 1944, more World War II pilots had received their first introduction to military flight in Fairchild PT's than in any other aircraft. This number includes not only US and Canadian students but pilots from Great Britain, France, Norway, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay, Rhodesian and India.
The history of the Pride of Corsicana is as follows: (Thanks to Tony Broadhurst for the early military history)
• Manufactured in 1942 and received by the USAAF Nov 1, 1942. Cost $6141.00.
• November 11, 1942 -- Assigned to the 67th Army Air Force Flying Training Detachment,
Eastern Flying Training Command. Based at Riddle-McKay Institute Embry-Riddle Field, Union City, TN. Operator: Riddle-McKay Company of Tennessee (affiliate of the Embry-Riddle Co.) The school opened in early 1942.
• At some unknown point was transferred to Chickasha, OK and assigned to 2549 AAF Base Unit (previously the 316th Army Air Force Flying Training Detachment), Central Flying Training Command
• November 1944 -- transferred from Chickasha, OK to the Wilson-Bonfils Flying School, Chickasha, OK. Operators: Raymond M. Wilson and F.W. Bonfils. Opened October 4, 1941. The school appears to have remained active into July 1945.
• November 22, 1944 -- transferred to the Reconstruction Finance Corp for storage and surplus
• March 27, 1945 -- assigned to the RFC sales center at Ponca City, OK.
• April 16, 1945 -- Defense Plant Corporation sold to Hugh Bowman (Belt, Montana) for
• April 16, 1945 -- Registered to Hugh Bowman
• May 22, 1945 -- Civil Aeronautics Administration issued Certificate of Ownership to
• Jul 28, 1945 -- Original Airworthiness Certificate Issued
• Aug 20, 1977 -- Hugh Bowman sold to Leonard Bonker of Albia, Iowa
• Feb 11, 1978 -- Registered to Leonard Bonker
• Mar 15, 1980 -- Leonard Bonker sold to Boulder Aviation of Boulder, CO
• April 2, 1980 -- Registered to Boulder Aviation Inc
• April 4, 1987 -- Boulder Aviation Inc sold to Colvin A/C Inc of Big Cabin, OK
• Sept 24, 1987 -- Colvin A/C Inc sold to Robert Chamberlain of Berkeley, MO
• Oct 19, 1987 -- Registered to RW Chamberlain
• Dec 21 1994 -- Airworthiness Certificate Issued
• Jan 15, 2000 -- Estate of Robert W Chamberlain sold to Ben Acock of Corsicana, TX
• Apr 24, 2000 -- Registered to Ben Acock
• Feb 10, 2001 -- Ben Acock sold to Navarro County Heritage Aircraft Association of
• Mar 28, 2001 -- Registered to Navarro County Heritage Aircraft Association
• Apr 27, 2002 -- Navarro County Heritage Aircraft Association transferred ownership to
Corsicana Field Aviation Heritage Foundation of Corsicana, TX
• Jul 19, 2002 -- Registered to Corsicana Field Aviation Heritage Foundation
• Jun 6, 2005 -- Corsicana Field Aviation Heritage Foundation transferred ownership to
American Airpower Heritage Flying Museum (Commemorative Air Force) of Midland,
• Jul 25, 2005 -- Registered to American Airpower Heritage Flying Museum
The T-34A and B were propeller-driven, piston-
engined, military trainer aircraft derived from the
Beechcraft Model 35 Bonanza. The T-34B Mentor
was the primary trainer for the US Navy
beginning in 1955 and continued until the mid
1970's at the Naval Air Station Saufley Field in
Florida and as a Navy Recruiting Command
aircraft until the early 1990s when the last
examples were retired as an economy move. The
eventually succeeded by
upgraded T-34C Turbo-Mentor, powered by
Production of the T-34B for the United States
Navy (USN) began in 1955, this version featuring
requirements of the two services. The T-34B had
only differential braking for steering control on
the ground instead of nosewheel steering,
additional wing dihedral and, to cater for the
different heights of pilots, adjustable rudder
pedals instead of the moveable seats of the T-
34A. T-34A production was completed in 1956,
with T-34Bs being built until October 1957.
Bureau number 140802 was delivered to US
Navy inventory in January of 1956. It served as
a trainer at NAS Saufley Field in Pensacola, FL
After it's retirement it was sent to the Dominican
Republic Air Force. At some point in its life with
the Dominican Republic, it suffered a gear up
landing and repairs were made to bring it back to
service. In 2001, it was sold to a private owner
along with several others. It was used to
demonstrate air combat maneuvers to the public.
Because of some excess G forces placed on this
and several other aircraft, it was required to
complete a mandatory structural enhancement of
the wing center section. At this point it was
donated to the Commemorative Air Force. The
repairs were completed by Baker Aviation in New
Smyrna Beach, FL. After completion, the aircraft
was flown to Fort Worth in January of 2016. In
January of 2017 the aircraft was completely
painted in the official training squadron paint
scheme. The Coyote Squadron assumed control
of the aircraft December 01, 2018.